Supreme Court Justice Ruth Ginsburg said Monday that eliminating the Electoral College is “largely a dream because,” she argued, the U.S Constitution is simply “hard to amend.”
The story: Speaking at the University of Chicago on Monday, the 86-year-old Ginsburg said: “It’s largely a dream because our Constitution is … hard to amend. I know that from experience.”
Ginsburg has previously expressed support for changing the Electoral College.
“There are some things I would like to change. One is the Electoral College,” as reported by The Hill. “But that would require a constitutional amendment, and amending our Constitution is powerfully hard to do.”
Debates over the Electoral College ensued following the 2016 election, which Hillary Clinton lost despite winning the popular vote.
Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has called the Electoral College a “scam” and some 2020 Democratic candidates have voiced openness to eliminating it.
Defending the Electoral College last month, Rep Dan Crenshaw (R-TX) tweeted:
“We live in a republic, which means 51% of the population doesn’t get to boss around the other 49%.”
Abolishing the electoral college means that politicians will only campaign in (and listen to) urban areas. That is not a representative democracy.
We live in a republic, which means 51% of the population doesn’t get to boss around the other 49%. https://t.co/eZilBsVhyP
— Dan Crenshaw (@DanCrenshawTX) August 24, 2019
Columnist George Will and former U.S. Rep. Raul Labrador (R-ID) have also defended the Electoral College, arguing it helps give representation to smaller states, according to Fox News.